80 Stokes Croft
Bristol, BS1 3QY
+44 (0)7753 247576
Dave Bain is an established Bristol illustrator who creates engaging and inspirational images that imaginatively capture the message and identity of a given brief. Primarily using traditional media, such as painting, drawing, screen-printing and mixed media techniques, he is also highly proficient in utilising these methods in conjunction with image editing software.
He has had the pleasure of being commissioned by a wide range of national and international clients, resulting in an eclectic portfolio of work. Highlights, amongst many, have included painting live on the BBC, creating a bold visual identity for an international Nokia advertising campaign, producing a series of bespoke mural artworks for a young person’s cancer ward, artworking the first illustrated NSPCC mail-out booklet and developing a shoe sole design with Clarks.
Dave Bain currently lives and works in Bristol. His continued engagement and collaboration with Bristol artists, businesses and the city’s thriving cultural sector has led to stream of local commissions and projects. Institutions, such as Bristol City Council, Bristol Old Vic and Tobacco Factory have sought out Dave for design, mural and info-graphic work. He has also worked with new initiatives and start-ups, helping establish their identity, as well as taking part in and curating several exhibitions across the city and further afield.
In 2011 Dave co-founded the illustration studio collective Drawn In Bristol and managed their large studio space, screen printing facility and group of fifty Bristol illustrators, for a number of years. Dave also established a number of pop-up shops in Bristol city centre, in collaboration with Drawn In Bristol, Made In Bristol and Pop-Up Bristol.
Dave has contributed to a variety of articles and blogs including Creative Review, Digital Arts and CRACK magazine and features in various illustration annuals and zines. His work has been highly commended by the Macmillan Children’s Prize and several of his illustrations are used as examples of good practice in the book, ‘Illustration - A Theoretical & Contextual Perspective’ written by Alan Male (AVA Academia - 2007), who Dave is proud to have studied under while at Falmouth College of Arts.
Aardman, Alfresco Disco, BBC, BFI, Big Chill, Bournstream, Bristol 2015, Bristol City Council, Bristol Children’s Hospital, Bristol Old Vic, Bristol Palestine Film Festival, Bristol Post, Bristol Zoo, Buscopan, CBeebies, Clarks, Creation Development Trust, DIY SOS, The Gallimaufry, Glastonbury, Grain Barge, Harcourt, Inkygoodness, Kyowon, Lazerian, Lido Girl, Life, Little Bulb Theatre, Made in Bristol, Nokia, NSPCC, Oxford University Press, Pearson Education, Quarto Publishing, The Queensbury Hotel, Paper Cinema, Pollaughan Farm, RSPCA, Sunday Express, Teenage Cancer Trust, Temple Quay, Templar Publishing, Tobacco Factory, Trevaskis Farm, Women’s Weekly, Zizzi
- AOI World Illustration Award 2016 - shortlisted
- 3x3 International Illustration Show No.13 - merit winner
- The Saatchi Building, London: 'Daydream takeover' - Group (2007)
- Centrespace Gallery, Bristol: 'Hopes & Fears' - Inkygoodness Group (2008)
- Nails Gallery, Bristol: 'The Art of Picture Books' - Group (2009)
- Here and Now Gallery, Falmouth: 'Cover It Up!' - Solo (2009)
- Stolenspace Gallery, London: 'Decked' - Group (2009)
- The Custard Factory, Birmingham: 'Wonderland' - Inkygoodness Group (2009)
- Coningsby Gallery, London: 'Decked 2' - Group (2010)
- East Gallery, London: 'Play' - Inkygoodness Group (2010) Collective review
- Antlers Gallery, Bristol: 'Grotesques' - Group (2010)
- Start Gallery, Bristol: 'Dreamboat' - Inkygoodness Group (2010) Amelia's Magazine review
- The Illustration Cupboard, London: 'Falmouth Illustration Retrospective Exhibition' - Group (2011)
- Start Gallery, Bristol: 'Deep Into The Woods' - Group (2011)
- The Glass Room, Colston Hall, Bristol: 'Flight' - Group (2011)
- Mshed, Bristol: 'Drawn in Bristol presents Dave Bain' - Solo (2011)
- The Parlour Showroom, College Green, Bristol: 'Day of the Dead' - Group (2011)
- Assembly: Art in the Bar @ Chapter, Cardiff: 'Red Feather' - Solo (2012)
- Casa Carnacini, Argentina: 'Distance' - Group (2012)
- Colston Hall, Bristol: 'BUNT' - Drawn in Bristol Group (2012)
- The Parlour Showroom, Bristol: 'Myths & Legends' - Drawn in Bristol/Bristol Biennial Group (2012)
- Foyles Bookshop, Bristol: 'Distance' - Drawn in Bristol Group (2012)
- The Parlour Showroom, College Green, Bristol: 'Day of the Dead 2' - Group (2012)
- Tobacco Factory, Bristol: '100 Houses' - Group (2012)
- 44AD Gallery, Bath: 'Birds & Reptiles, Mammals & Fish' - Group (2012)
- The Gallimaufry, Bristol: 'Animal Magic' - Solo (2012)
- St Georges, Bristol: 'Beat the Blues' - Drawn in Bristol Group (2013)
- Coningsby Gallery, London: 'Beermat Characters' - Inkygoodness Group (2013)
- No1 Harbourside, Bristol: 'Holiday Homes' - Drawn in Bristol Group (2014)
- Slimbridge Wetlands Centre, Slimbridge: 'Summer' Group (2014)
- Tobacco Factory, Bristol: 'Knock Knock' Collaboration with Laura Wady (2014)
- Grain Barge, Bristol: 'Fur & Feather' - Group (Sept 2016)